Microfluidics is a cornerstone capability at IMT. We have supported our customers for nearly 20 years with the successful development of devices for a wide array of microfluidic applications, including molecular diagnostics, drug delivery, cytometry, DNA sequencing, and stem cell therapy.
IMT’s standard microfluidic building blocks enable rapid development of custom microfluidics and dramatically reduce the financial investment required for commercialization.
Nearly all biotechnology and biomedical programs leverage one or more components of a microfluidics system. In addition, it’s common for IMT to integrate microfluidics with optics and sensor technologies thus providing valye and capability.
IMT Microfluidics Platforms and Capabilities
The means to precisely control and manipulate fluids is enabled by components that can be implemented separately or integrated together to form an entire system. These components typically include:
- Active and/or passive valves (reed, gate, etc.) activated mechanically or non-mechanically
- Actuators used as the pump mechanism to move fluid through the microfluidics system: Electromagnetic, Piezoelectric, Electrostatic, Thermal
- Complex 3D microfluidics channels and manifolds can be fabricated by using multiple bonded wafers
- Microneedles and nozzles for precise application and distribution of fluids
IMT’s cell sorter system integrates reflective and refractive optics, 3D microfluidics, and high-speed electromagnetic actuation employing numerous materials in a 4 wafer stack. It is the most sophisticated device in the market using wafer-level packaging.
- Actuators and Pumps – producing the fastest MEMS actuator traveling from 0 to 1.4 m/sec to 0 in 15 msec with a 22 µm stroke
- Incorporates 3D microfluidics and 4 wafers bonded at wafer-level
High-speed, massively parallel sorting enables high purity cell therapy for cancer, autoimmune treatment, and radiation exposure.
IMT also can assist our customers with the design of microfluidic systems that leverage IMT’s standard modules.